The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020. The terms of the UK´s exit from the EU are regulated by the Withdrawal Agreement.
The Withdrawal Agreement:
- Sets out a transition period to provide time to adapt to the new situation.
- Safeguards the right of UK Nationals and their family members to stay and continue their current activities in Slovakia, even after the end of the transition period.
- Guarantees the rights under the Withdrawal Agreement to UK Nationals who move to Slovakia during the transition period.
- Protects UK Nationals and their family members who reside in Slovakia before the end of the transition period.
- Protects the right of some UK Nationals’ family members who do not yet live in Slovakia to join them in the future.
The transition period:
- Started on 1 February 2020 and ends on 31 December 2020.
- Will help UK Nationals living in Slovakia and Slovak administrations adapt to the withdrawal of the UK from the EU.
Until 31 December 2020:
- The rules applicable to UK Nationals who live, work, study, do business or research in Slovakia do not change.
- The UK continues to enjoy the freedom of movement of persons, goods, services, and capital within the EU.
- The EU will treat the UK as if it were an EU Member State.
Key information for UK Nationals and their family members in Slovakia:
- You are advised to register as resident.
- Until 31 December 2020, you can register your residence under the same conditions as before the UK´s exit from the EU.
- If you are lawfully residing in Slovakia before 31 December 2020, your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident.
- If you are lawfully residing in Slovakia before 31 December 2020, your residence will be automatically changed from an EU to a non-EU status and you will obtain one of the relevant types of residence.
- By 30 June 2021 at the latest, you will need to go to the Foreign Police to apply for a non-EU Residence Card. Any EU Residence Cards owned by UK nationals and their family members after 30 June 2021 will cease to be valid.
- UK help and services in Slovakia
- Living in Slovakia Guide
- Full version of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement